You might have noticed the repetitive theme of gardening over the past several weeks in our blog. Well, here at D & A Dunlevy, we are all about container gardening right now! The rewards and benefits of this type of garden are endless. Here’s our list of reasons why container gardening is the hobby for you:
- You don’t need a large plot of land or any land at all to grow your own vegetables. As long as you have a location in your yard (or balcony) that gets at least 6 hours of direct sun a day, you can have a container garden!
- The wide variety of containers available to you allows you to design your small-scale garden in a way that both fits your needs and compliments your personality.
- Growing in containers allows for portability. Some people choose to bring their plants indoors during cooler months to keep the plants alive throughout the entire year.
- Container gardens are an easy way to incorporate both annual flowers and vegetables, adding interest to your yard. Check out our blog on our favorite annuals to grow with vegetables.
- The cost to start a container garden is very low. You even have the benefit of saving money on produce at the grocery. For more money savings benefits, get creative with your container! There are plenty of ways to reuse materials to make a really interesting container for your plants.
- Container gardening is much easier on your back than standard gardens. Many who suffer from back pain as a result of gardening or other yard work can tailor the height of the containers to something that allows you to comfortably garden while either sitting or standing.
- Container gardens are extremely kid-friendly! They provide for educational fun for your little ones and get them involved in helping around the yard and house.
If you want to create a container garden but don’t know where to start, do not hesitate to contact us. One of our designers would love to help you through the process!